Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Grounded

Going by the 3rd floor front desk yesterday, I was greeted with, "So! You're the other Carsten!" It turns out a nurse named Heather has a son named Karsten. I plan to tell her later today that if I have a daughter, and Barbara lets me, I will name her Heather to even the score.

Heather was the one who had to teach me about the limits of my freedom in the rehab center. On the hospital floor, the nurses are overworked enough that they were pleased to let me roam about my room. In the rehab center, on the other hand, someone is always available to observe and assist, and they are not heartened when patients try to do too much for themselves. Thus, when Heather found me roaming about my room last night, she requested that I henceforth call whenever I'm inclined to leave my bed, so that someone can stand by in case I lose my balance. I am happy to comply with this set of rules -- whatever gets me out fastest!

Ha! The breakfast today is the same meal as the first breakfast that I enjoyed in the hospital, which was last Wednesday, the third morning of my tenancy at the hospital.

Mom arrived on time yesterday and made her way immediately to my room. Among gifts of candy and clothes, she also brought me a pepper shaker. This blog is working!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have brought you some Dave's or Cholula or Tabasco sauce.

Carsten said...

Oh, that would have been exquisite!

Anonymous said...

Carsten I was just about to call you but then I realized it's almost 10pm your time. What is your daily schedule like this week? When is light's out? Does your roommate sleep early?

Let us know when the best times to call are.

Peter