Monday, February 16, 2009

Relocation Information

I'm eating dinner in my new room, R-304, Bed 1, in the TGH rehab center. 813-844-1311. Cheers!

Update: the transfer went well. Earlier this morning, an occupational therapist paid a surprise visit (nearly all visits in the hospital are by surprise) and helped me don my jeans. Lacking a shirt and a belt, I tucked my favorite dress into the jeans, so now I look like an escaped patient (that's a Code Yellow) who is trying to pose his way into rehab. I was transferred out in a wheelchair followed by a cart with my accumulated belongings.

My new room is big, with a wall of windows. I haven't looked out of them yet because they are partly drawn, and because my new roommate is next to them. He was hit by a car on his bicycle, and he's partially paralyzed from the waist down. He's been confined for 3 months -- a sobering circumstance that makes me feel quite lucky. At least he gets a lot of visits from his mother and children. He also seems friendly and less socially awkward (ask Jamie and Misti) than my former roommate.

I'm expecting a visit from Jamie and maybe Misti, including a delivery of belt, shirts, and my remaining belongings, this evening. Tomorrow, Mom is coming. I haven't consulted yet with anyone about goals and the length of this stay, but it is surely off to a good start.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you are in rehab (although it does sound a bit odd). We celebrated Edward's bday belatedly today and on Wed. it will be Randy's turn. Wish you were here for the fun!!

Get those muscles going!!

Unknown said...

Big Bro, I have enjoyed reading your updates and seeing all that is going on. It's great that you're now in rehab, and I'm so glad Mom is coming down to see you tomorrow! I hope you can both call me if I can't reach you. You're now up for some tough conditioning - rehab will be great exercise, you might come back stronger than before! :)