If I'm lucky, I'll be un-grounded today. I told my PT, Edgar, about how much I'd like to be able to exercise on foot in my room, but how I had to call for assistance to ever get out of bed. He opined that I was ready to move about my room by myself. Thereby heartened, I went to the 3rd floor front desk and asked them if this could be arranged. They said my PT had to put it in my chart, but as a special favor they would write it in themselves if he called them. I turned right around and rode up to the 4th floor gym to ask Edgar to make it official. He agreed to phone in later... hoping he doesn't change his mind, I am now awaiting news of my libereation.
Earlier today I talked with a rehab doctor about when I might depart. When I told him Mom was leaving this Saturday, he asked Edgar his opinion on letting me go then. Edgar was hesitant; I think he is enjoying attaching electrodes to my leg and wants to keep me for a while to see if his strategy works. His reward will be if I can dorsiflex my anterior tibialis. On the other hand, they should be looking for an opportunity to get rid of me, because as always the beds are full. I think these competing objectives are in balance enough that they can make a good judgment as to my released date. To me it seems likely that it will be next Tuesday.
I finished the cognitive testing part of my OT. Jan (my OT who bought me the sneakers) tells me that my score of 82 correct out of 84 was the best she had ever seen on that set of questions. It's a good indication that the brain damage was localized!
Jamie just stopped by on his way north to a weekly lecture that is part of his residency. He told me some details about how you can cut someone's fibula (the weaker leg bone) into little slices and arrange them into the shape of a jaw for a jaw replacement. I think he called it "doing flaps." I'm glad I didn't have to avail myself of his services!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
c -- just heard from BEH. am working my way through your blog from the beginning, so unsure what the details are on the latest in your life and recovery, but i wanted to comment at this stage and say that i too am VERY VERY grateful the damage was localized!! all the best. sim
Post a Comment